Martes, Enero 31, 2012

Brush, Brush, Brush To Maintain Healthy Teeth!

Even SpongeBob Squarepants and Patrick know about the importance of brushing their teeth. I remember one episode from when I was little and Patrick was singing “Brush, Brush, Brush... Brush, Brush, Brush, Brushing Everywhere!” As he sang, the pink starfish went from brushing his mouth to maintain healthy teeth to scrubbing his whole body. Looking back, it really was a rather dense episode. However, as a child I remember always wanting to brush my teeth just so I could sing that ridiculous song with it. And if you were wondering, I only scrubbed my teeth.

Television affects the way our children think and it can persuade them to do things we may or may not want them to do.  Often, TV commercials and shows like SpongeBob make every day chores seem fun for kids. When comes to their dental care and maintaining healthy teeth, we want to make sure that our children are brushing and flossing on a daily basis. 

We need to make brushing fun for our children so that they will have the desire to brush their teeth all of the time, like I did when I was a kid. If that means letting them watch an annoying, even obnoxious show to achieve our goal, then we just might have to take one for the team. 

Older siblings can influence their younger brothers and sisters into doing things that will help with their oral health. I have been know to bribe my teenagers (ironically with sweets) to show their younger siblings how much fun it is to brush and floss their teeth. Annoying as it is for the grown-ups and teenagers, every once in a while my children and I turn on Patrick’s ‘Brush, Brush, Brush…” music.

Many younger kids use their parents as barometers of fun. I recommend that if we are going to let our children see shows that teach kids how to maintain healthy teeth, we need to be there scrubbing and brushing, singing and laughing right along with Patrick. When our children see us having fun, chances are they’ll want to join in. These experiences will create positive, healthy brushing and flossing habits.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento