Huwebes, Pebrero 2, 2012

Protect Your Teeth from Gum Infection


I use feel like I had the absolutely worst gum infection in the whole world. My gums would bleed every time I brushed them and randomly throughout the day. No matter how many times I might brush and floss, my gums were just constantly infected and bleeding. I blame my father for my terrible teeth, but I knew that I had to keep brushing and flossing if I wanted to keep them. I also knew that I needed to get the opinion of a professional, local dentist. 

Despite my severe gingivitis, I now have an amazing personal dentist that always takes great care of me. My dad, who lives in Ogden, Utah periodically visits online dental directories for information on oral health.  Here’s what he found about gum infections.

If your gums are bleeding, red and puffy, tender, sensitive to hot or cold, starting to recede, you could have periodontal or gum disease. The scary thing is that periodontal disease is now linked to heart disease, stokes, respiratory disease, digestive disorders, pancreatic cancer, and preterm low birth weight babies, diabetes and obesity.

It all starts with an onslaught of bacteria invading your gum tissues. Bacteria can literally multiply by the millions in just a few short hours and if left unchecked, it can form plaque, then tartar, and the next thing you know you have a pocket. A pocket is a separation of the gum tissue from the tooth that the dentist measures in millimeters – the deeper the pocket, the worse your condition of gum infection or periodontal disease.

Here’s what happens, the bacteria builds up and invades the pocket. You will notice some bleeding as this occurs and maybe redness or gum swelling. As the bacteria hides in the pocket, it turns into toxins or poisons and starts eating away at the gum tissue and bone of the tooth causing receding and possibly a loose tooth. When it is deep enough, the bacteria is gets access to your blood which obviously effects more than just your oral health.

There are several things that could have contributed to your infection of the gums:

Poor Oral Hygiene
Tobacco Use
Certain Medication
Dry Mouth
Poor Nutrition
Substance Abuse
Stress
 
No matter what caused it, if you find that you have all or some of the symptoms of gum disease, get to a dentist to aggressively fight the problem as soon as possible.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento